Sunday, May 25, 2008

Horton Hears a Who!




I'm breaking my topic in the past few posts to write about the Hortons. No, this is neither about Dr Seuss' story book nor the film.

Ben and Sarah Horton are ABWE missionaries to the Philippines. They have 5 children - Sarita, Jesse, Walker, Josh, Micah. We met them back in 2005 when they did a pre-field visit to Columbia Heights Baptist Church in Boise, ID to talk about their ministry. They have been in the Philippines since June 2007 and have been going through language school to learn the "Filipino" language.

Their STIR-Asia ministry will include evangelism, discipleship training and development of platforms for Filipino medical professionals to serve as bi-vocational missionaries in countries throughout Asia. To learn more about them, their mission and even about the Philippines (!), go to the Ben and Sarah Horton's blogsite

Some personal glimpses ... Ben Horton spent a significant time in the Philippines during his formative years and one could detect some of the effects of that. He grew up calling the bathroom/restroom a "C.R." (short for comfort room) just like most of us Filipinos. And today, Ben and Sarah Horton's children also use the term "C.R.". :)

Sarah Horton once mentioned that at first she could not understand why they just have to have Silver Swan soy sauce instead of any soy sauce from the local groceries. Is there any doubt where that mindset could come from? Only from the Philippines!

Anyway, today Ben and Sarah Horton and their children have needs that they have shared with us who are in their prayer team. With the dollar devaluation (and peso appreciation), their financial support is lower than the standard of living for 7 persons. Please pray earnestly for their urgent request for support. If the Lord burdens your heart for them, would you consider becoming a STIR-Asia ministry supporter ?

I am reminded of a song by Daniel L. Schutte, SJ which lifted verses from Isaiah 6:8

Whom Shall I Send?"
I, the Lord of sea and sky,
I have heard my people cry.
All who dwell in dark and sin
My hand will save.

I who made the stars of night,
I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear my light to them?
Whom shall I send?

Here I am, Lord. Is it I Lord?
I have heard you calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, if you lead me.
I will hold your people in my heart.

The Ben and Sarah Horton heard the "Who" and they responded.

How about you? Just like Isaiah, are you also hearing "Whom shall I send?" What are you sent for?

0 ADD YOUR COMMENT!:

A Few of My Favorite Songs


  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP