Wednesday, August 20, 2008

105 Steps to Mt Bonnell

Another scenic place to check out in Austin... Mt Bonnell is the highest accessible peak in Austin. It overlooks a part of lake.

Not sure which lake it is - Town Lake? Lake Austin? Lake Travis? Oh wait, I'll check...

Ahh, Lake Austin. They're not really separate lakes - they're all part of the Colorado river that meanders through Austin. I guess they call them lakes because they are partitioned by dams? Maybe...




Anyhow, we were there at about 7:00 pm last Thursday and the stairs were covered with the shadow of the surrounding trees, so it was comfortable - not as hot as we thought. The climb (or should I say walk) was an easy 105 steps on a decent stairs, complete with handrail.

Great views of the lake, the houses on the lake and the city.


Best to come here with a picnic basket early in the morning!

2 ADD YOUR COMMENT!:

Rhea August 20, 2008 at 5:36 PM  

I lived in Austin for 19 years and just moved away last year. I miss it! I've been to the top of Mount Bonnell many times. LOVE it up there.

Thanks for visiting me on my SITS day Monday!

Rela Pantaleon-Manigsaca August 20, 2008 at 7:15 PM  

It was actually our first time to go to the top. It was peaceful when we got up there; not much people - which is good. :) I'm sure Mt Bonnel becomes even better as the weather cools, right?

Anyway, we first heard of Mt Bonnell last June when we were here on my husband's interview. We took a 1.5 hours driven tour with the Austin Overtures and the tour guide described the places. So we became curious what it looked like up there.

Good place to show off Austin :)

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP