Monday, August 11, 2008

The Art of Lumpia

UPDATE: Wheeeeee!!!! The Lumpia recipe is a semifinalist at the Saucy Eats contest. So I brushed up this article a bit...

Vote for the Lumpia!!!


Lumpiang Shanghai (or Lumpia for short) is a crunchy Filipino dish that always delight friends who are introduced to it. Some have asked for the recipe and I thought that was funny because I'm not really a good cook :) (right, Beth?). If my mother could only see me now, she would be proud that her daughter has mastered at least one recipe.


Anyhow, I thought it would be good to post it in this blog as well so anyone interested can use it as well. Here goes:

INGREDIENTS: (Makes 150 pieces.)

Lumpia wrappers (Use TYJ Spring Roll Pastry - 2 packs of the biggest size 25 pcs each)

1 pound ground meat (I use turkey but you can use any kind of meat. If you use beef, suggest to mix it with any of the white meats because beef is hard when it is fried.)
2 fist size carrots (I use baby carrots)
1 fist size garlic
1 fist size onion (any color but red onion is strongest)
2 eggs (beaten)
3/4-1 cup soy sauce (use Silver Swan brand. Reduce according to taste.)
1-2 tsp sugar

1 tbsp flour
1/3 cup water
cooking oil (for frying)
Sweet and Sour Sauce

DIRECTIONS:
A. Thaw the wrapper either by leaving it outside the ref for about 30 minutes or in the microwave for a few seconds.

You can separate the wrappers individually even before you start wrapping. Just make sure that you cover it with damp cloth/napkin to keep it moist. Otherwise, you can just separate them as you go through "D" below.

B. Prepare the mixture
1. Chop the carrots, garlic and onion. (I typically use food processor.) Add the soy sauce and sugar, stir. Taste and adjust, if necessary.
2. Add ground meat and egg. Mix thoroughly.

C. Prepare the "sealant" by mixing 1 tbsp flour in 1/3 cup water.

D. Wrap the lumpia
(I picked up this faster method from Charmaine. (Thanks, Charmaine!) It was 3x faster than what I used to be doing which was the fine and fancy way. :) So, it was a no-brainer for me to adopt the faster way.)
1. place about 2 tbsp mixture parallel to any of the edges. Distribute mixture from end to end so that it is about 1cm thick.
2. roll the wrapper over the meat and continue to roll until about only 1 inch is left.
3. apply the flour/water sealant and complete the roll.


E. Taste test by wrapping 1-3 pieces first.
1. Cut the lumpia into 3 pieces.
2. Fry and taste. (You can deep fry but I usually just shallow fry.)
3. Adjust mixture, if necessary.
4. Proceed to wrap the rest of the meat mixture.

F. Fry the lumpia.

Remember, for every 1 lumpia, you can cut them into 3 pieces. Typically, if eaten with rice and the sweet and sour sauce, I can eat 10 pieces.

G. Freeze the raw lumpia.
You can then just thaw, cut and fry later.
1. Store the lumpia in separate freezer bags so that you can use just what you need at a time.
2. You can thaw the raw lumpia before frying. Or you can dunk it in straight (but be careful of oil splatters!)
3. Cut the raw lumpia into 3 or your desired size.


That's it! Have fun making the lumpia.

For me, I usually eat the lumpia with rice, cucumber and the sweet and sour sauce. Yummy!!!

I would love to know how yours went, so let me know!


And remember to...
Vote for the Lumpia!!!

10 ADD YOUR COMMENT!:

Stephanie August 12, 2008 at 12:22 AM  

I was introduced to lumpia years ago and I loved it! Unfortunately, I haven't had any for years. So I think I am so excited to find this recipe and be able to make them myself!

Rela Pantaleon August 12, 2008 at 12:37 AM  

Hi Stephanie!

I hope you have a nearby oriental store to buy the wrap, Silver Swan soy sauce and the Sweet and Sour sauce.

I forgot to take a photo of the sauce. I'll probably come back and repost that later this week.

Have fun and let me know how it goes!

Anonymous,  August 24, 2008 at 5:06 PM  

You are a semi-finalist! Good luck with the voting!

Bob and Jenn Peacock August 25, 2008 at 11:55 PM  

This sounds fantastic. When we lived in Florida we had best friends from the Phillipines who would make this for us often...I can't wait to try your recipe. Oh, and I voted for you as well. Good luck!

Anonymous,  August 27, 2008 at 2:36 PM  

Mmm, yummy, I can't wait to try this recipe. Hope you win. :)

thanks! maan

Anonymous,  August 30, 2008 at 9:15 AM  

hi rela! i voted for you--hope you win!

Miss Feisty August 30, 2008 at 10:11 AM  

I love Lumpia & will def try this recipe :)

United Studies September 3, 2008 at 8:10 AM  

Growing up we had a family friend from the Philippines and she made the best lumpia. I'll have to give your recipe a try. Thanks for sharing!

expertshelp July 14, 2017 at 3:06 AM  

The Art of Lumpia is amazing and the dish looks really delicious. I have never had the chance to know it, or rather taste it. It is a very nice blog, and maybe by rechecking i will have the information necessary to make such a dish or better still look for it. When looking for Admittance essays writing, what do you consider? We are sure that quality, professionalism, originality and legitimacy are among them, which makes us the best choice. Try our services today and receive excellent assistance.

  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP