Saturday, December 6, 2008

Cannoli Joe's

For a year now, we have been planning to dine at Cannoli Joe's in South Austin, but somehow, Buffet Palace always wins out. I see it often when I go through Ben White Blvd/290/71. Al has dined there a couple of times courtesy of the big company (or is it from the boss' wallet?) and says he likes it, but not for everyday meals. So, I was intrigued...

So finally, we have an excuse to check it out (Hi, Tita Rory!).

After church last Sunday, we all met up at Cannoli Joe's and here is my "review":

FOOD
It was buffet style, aka smorgasbord...

Anyway, food was okay - the different pasta dishes were tasty, the grilled vegetables were good, the salads were okay,too. Different from our everyday fare, but nothing really spectacular. Lots of oil - olive oil, I guess, since Italian cuisine is known for that.

I tried the cannoli for dessert because that's what the place is named after... and was disappointed. I really do not know what a good cannoli tastes like but that did not taste great by any standard.

On the other hand, I may not be reviewing the food fairly because I avoided the meat section because of the meat-heavy meal on Saturday night. I didn't see any shrimp, fish or any seafood though. Maybe that means, I have to go back and try them once more :)

And we are not wine people, so I have nothing to say regarding that.

The good thing is that you don't have to order and wait long for your food to arrive.

AMBIANCE
Very nice place... the waiting area was large, warm and interesting. The bar was near the entrance and there were plenty of partitioned dining areas which made the place feel cozy.

The dishes are displayed in what looked like street stands. (It reminded me of Street Life in Glorietta - is that place still there?)

Got this clip from YouTube to give you an idea what it looks like inside...




STAFF
The Front person, the Waitress and even the Accordionist were friendly and accomodating.


PRICE
Sunday Brunch costs $13.99 for adults and $5.99 for kids under 12 years old. Not cheap.

Tita Rory and Tristan said that for the food we ate, it would have been probably less expensive to eat at Buca Di Beppo because they serve family-style. Hmmm... maybe next time, we'll try that place :)



Heard of either Italian restaurants? Care to share your experience?

0 ADD YOUR COMMENT!:

A Few of My Favorite Songs


  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP