Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Oh, Christmas Tree! Oh, Christmas Tree!

It's my first time to put a Christmas tree on my own.

Usually, I am just the assistant (read: one who hands the decors)/ supervisor (read: one who critiques) / clean-up crew (read: that one is self-explanatory… the artistic ones are usually not bothered with the menial stuff) for my brother, Oscar or my sister-in-law, Ann Janice. So … I was a bit anxious putting up the tree on my own because I was not sure if it would look as good as when it was done by them.

Well, I think it turned out quite alright…

That is, after putting on the lights, ribbons and decors , taking them down and then putting them back on THREE TIMES! Yes, 3 times! Just to get the right look! I'm not even going to tell you how long I had to do the Christmas tree. I don't have any elves helping me like others, you know (wink! wink!).

What I learned from this experience though are:
  1. Control your excitement in hanging the decors. The lights go first. The ribbons and/or garlands second. And the decors come into the picture last!
  2. The lower part of tree needs the most lights. My Christmas tree's lower third actually has about 200 lights on it! 
While doing all that multiple put up/take down of the lights, I actually thought to myself that I "needed" to buy one of those "pre-lit" Christmas trees. I did look at some of them in the stores but most have those 1-inch "needles". I didn't see any that would match my current Christmas
 tree's 3 inch-needles which looked like an Austrian Pine (Pinus Nigra) 

...  or perhaps the Philippines' Agoho.


Anyway for the first time, too, our tree is full of red decors. On the previous years, red was banned from the tree (and in fact, from the house!). We usually had silver and blue decors instead. The Christmas tree looks really better with red...

And to complete the look, I dug up some post-Christmas sale "curtains" I got from Ikea and put them as backdrop. Initially, Al said it looks like the Swastika curtains in Hitler's stage. I guess he has not seen a lot of other stage productions :). Eventually, it grew on him and he's accepted it. Actually, he loves it!

So did I do the Christmas tree "right?"? Whaddaya think?

Meanwhile, I'll show the other decors I put up tomorrow!

7 ADD YOUR COMMENT!:

Unknown December 16, 2008 at 6:31 PM  

Ate and Kuya,
Wow, that's cool lightings, mukhang mamahalin, and puedeng for 5-10 years decors (need to keep properly every after celeb). By the way, we are planning pa lang to buy, kahit bulbs and flickering lights lang, most of Singapore Decor is nakalagay sa labas ng house, lightings lang, not much with Christmas Tree...oi, bagsak presyo na rin Gas dito sa SG.

Anonymous,  December 16, 2008 at 7:56 PM  

Honest opinion? SUPERIOR!!!Parang display sa Glorietta! Sagana at over flowing with asileng-asilap!

pracso December 16, 2008 at 8:16 PM  

good job, tita rela! will it still be up by february 3? hehehe...

Joy December 17, 2008 at 5:34 PM  

Your tree is beautiful.
What program do you use to do that grid look.
I love it.

renan_3 December 18, 2008 at 6:24 AM  

ganda rela! pareho tayo mas maraming kulay pula sa tree.

Anonymous,  December 18, 2008 at 11:31 AM  

The Christmas photos are beautiful and you have a very nice blog.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Rela Pantaleon December 18, 2008 at 6:38 PM  

Thank you. Thank you!

Any other tips on how to make the tree faster or better next year?

A Few of My Favorite Songs


  © Blogger template The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP